Tuesday 5 February 2013

VALENTINE'S FOR ONE


Valentine’s Day is a little over a week away, and shops are already full of cutesy cards, sparkly red hearts and a variety of red roses. This is arguably the second most celebrated day in the calendar and gives couples, who feign disinterest in 'made-up holidays', full reign of the restaurants and moonlit streets everywhere, leaving singletons to feel inadequate. Should the holiday fall on a weekday (Thursday this year) you can bet the festivities will stretch all the way to Sunday night.

So why do we single people have to be subjected to having massive heart-shaped bouquets of roses flaunted in our faces, after spending the day at work listening to colleagues gush about their romantic plans? It doesn't seem fair that only couples should indulge. 


So last year I decided  to make a stand and reclaim the streets, and my favourite table at that restaurant I like with the help of some friends. We decided to go for dinner and drinks in a bid to celebrate being single. But when I called to make a reservation, I was informed that the restaurant would only be serving a Valentine’s set menu which included a chocolate fondue for two. I was so disappointed that such a nice place could stoop so low. Had it not occurred to them that other people, besides couples, like their food too?


Nonetheless we persevered and settled on another venue, one that lacks romance and promotes fun. A place that serves comforting and indulgent food not reserved only for pairs. Thankfully Bodean’s BBQ Smokehouse off Oxford Circus never fails to deliver.

This year I’m staying at home whilst my parents go out for a romantic meal. I’m not hiding away, but choosing to mark Valentine's day by treating myself. No Asda Twosie for me. My Valentine’s plans for one will include donning the onesie, and creating a lovely meal for myself. No bacon roses or chocolate hearts here. No I will be opting for something I can enjoy without having to worry about eating daintily or in small portions.  Thickly cut sweet-potato chips with plenty of homemade guacamole and garlic sauce. And for dessert, a large portion of Belgian Chocolate Haagen Dazs ice cream, eaten out of the tub because I don’t have to share.

A big no-no for any singleton on Valentine’s is mixing alcohol with romantic films. Much better to stick to soft drinks. I currently have an addiction to Del Monte Occasions, a range of juice drinks that appeal to a more grown-up palette. The Orchard Zest flavour, with apple grape and lemongrass, tastes amazing! I'll will not be pairing my alcohol-free cocktail with a rom-com. I'll stick to films that don’t revolve around two friends who spend ages going back and forth never really being happy until they profess their love for each other just before the credits start to role. I will probably opt for psychological thrillers, or horror.

If you do happen to indulge in alcohol, please hide your phone. The last thing you want to do is ring the ex in a less than sober state, on what is meant to be the most romantic day of the year. It will only make matters worse, especially if the date is out on a romantic date. I also don’t want to get disturbed by anyone. This is my night and I am not going to let anyone ruin it. I love the ‘Do Not Disturb’ function on the iPhone, which means only a permitted list of contacts can call.  

The MySpa by Homedics FootSpa has been ordered, a Valentine's gift to myself that will give my feet a little TLC.  Fingers crossed that, when greeted by the tired, disheveled and hungover partnered friends and colleagues on February 15th, a little papering will ensure I have a spring in my step too.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be for couples. It’s the perfect day for a little bit of indulgence and a reminder that there is nothing wrong in being single, and in a onesie




No comments:

Post a Comment