Tuesday 8 January 2013

HONESTLY, I'M NOT THAT SPOILT


I’m often told that, on the odd occasion, I can act a little spoilt. Yes I can stamp my feet and throw my toys out of the pram. But I know the value of money and I certainly don’t expect the world to stop for me.

I may, on the very rare occasion, ACT spoilt, but I assure you I am not. And my attitude is nothing compared to Miss Gina Rio, recently labelled by the media as the most spoiled girl in Britain. Let’s forget for a moment that this 23 year old has an obsession with designer labels and doesn't have to save up for them, because mummy and daddy will pick up the bill. And let’s overlook that Miss Rio is living in a luxury London hotel whilst her house, is being renovated.


Gina claims that she would never date somebody who is poor. This is despite her living on a £10,000 allowance from her mother, only half the allowance her father used to provide for her. It is a shame that Miss Rio seems to revel in living of such excessive hand-outs, choosing to lie on her bed with shoes as opposed to snuggling up with, an albeit poor, partner. Maybe, if she asked really nicely, her parents would set up an allowance for him too. Would the seemingly poor man then be a more attractive prospect?

Gina earns an annual salary of £24,000 as a personal stylist. I wonder if a man who earns the same would stand a chance at scoring a date with her. Surely, coming from a family that has experienced divorce, this young woman would understand that a relationship cannot be built on material things.

I think a large proportion of the blame has to lie with Gina’s parents who are happy to meet her every demand. Gina explains that her father will buy her anything to “to show how much he cares.” So that would be her 71st designer handbag, or is it the 301st pair of high heels?

I don’t claim to understand the complex dynamic of a family that has gone through a divorce. But surely Miss Rio would be a more rounded individual if, instead of throwing money at her, both parents spent more time educating her in the ways of the world. All the money they spend could actually help Gina to set up her own thriving company. Then she could earn more of her own money and understand that ambition and drive is more important than how many zeros there are on a cheque.

Gina’s father bought her a luxury pad in King’s Cross, a very generous gift for a 23 year old to receive. But whilst it is being renovated, I have to wonder why both Gina’s parents decided to put her up at The Savoy rather than have her stay with them.  

So yes I’m spoilt, and on occasion expect nice gifts. But I know how much they cost and also appreciate other values in individuals beyond the size of their wallet. Miss Rio might be an extreme example, but I suspect there are many like her who prefer designer handbags to quality time and the occasional hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment