Thursday 10 January 2013

SERVICE WITH A SMILE?



Over the last couple of years, I've become rather picky about where I shop and dine. A large deciding factor is how I'm made to feel when I go there. You'll never catch me in a TK Maxx riffling through endless rows of clothing that was probably piled together in the back of a van. For me it's all about the customer service.

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing three hungover students or struggling art graduates on their shift, standing around chatting about their epic night out, whilst I wait for one of them to notice me and find the top I want in the right size. Sorry, did somebody say Topman Oxford Circus?  The standard of customer service, once an institution in the UK, is fast becoming an afterthought for the majority of highstreet retailers.

Recently a friend and I were having lunch in town. We decided that for every time our waiter paid attention to us, smiled, or came to see if everything was okay, we would add £1 to his tip. After a delicious meal and plenty of chatter we ended up adding a mere £2 to the tip. That was for one smile in 2 hours and being asked if we'd like to see the dessert menu. I was appalled.  Waiting staff at restaurants; I feel obliged to tip you, my mother doesn't  But by how much depends on how pleasant and attentive you are. I don’t think it is too much to expect that, without my asking, you check on the salad starter I ordered 40 minutes ago.

I’m not saying the standard of service is this poor across the UK. In fact there are some places where service is so fantastic that I've forgotten what the food was like. And I'd happily go back there just for the friendly staff.

Research carried out last year by Nivea suggests that we are now a nation of closeness. Apparently the UK public have lost their stiff upper lip and are much more openly affectionate. This was evident during the Queen’s Jubilee and London Olympics. There was a real sense of warmth and unity. Believe it or not, strangers were even chatting to each other on public transport. It’s such a shame then, that after a few short months, staff in shops and restaurants have reverted to barely making eye contact.

THIS IS A SMILE

Cross the seas to America and it’s a whole different story. Shop assistants bend over backwards to please customers. There are even floor staff whose sole job is to greet shoppers. Fixed perfect smiles on their faces, and practically shouting “Hi, how are ya” and “Have a super awesome day!” These fake and forced pleasantries, whilst somewhat sweet are rather grating after awhile. 

But the standard of service is much better. Shop assistants in America seem to have more awareness of customer satisfaction and just get things done. They actually appear to enjoy their job, no really! Maybe they work on commission or they're taking Prozac in the stock-room. Whatever the reason, their approach is much faster and generally more efficient.

I’m not suggesting the UK should completely adopt this American robotic parrot-like approach to customer service. I suspect a designated greeter in some West End stores would very quickly get happy-slapped. We in the UK like a little more reservation and honesty with our interaction. But a little chat wouldn't go amiss. I like it when the girl at the checkout at Zara tells me she likes the shirt I picked out, or lets me know that her shift is nearly over and she plans on raiding the women’s shoes section with her staff discount.

To all the shop assistants and waiting staff, please wake up a little and crack a smile. It doesn't cost a thing and you might even get a tip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment