Wednesday 30 January 2013

THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY



It's the most important meal of the day. But recent studies suggest an increasing number of people skip breakfast altogether. Whilst I am guilty of not always choosing the healthiest option for my morning meal, or even having a full breakfast, I still try to get something in to keep me going.

I often hear people blaming a lack of time for skipping breakfast. But it really doesn't require much to get the food you need. Even grabbing breakfast bars, the right ones mind, can help keep you fueled  I am currently obsessed with nakd bars, which are made up of fruit and nuts smooshed together. There is no added sugar and they are wheat and dairy free, so everyone can enjoy them. My favourite is the gingerbread flavour which really wakes up the taste buds.

A lot of companies don't mind people eating at their desk. I normally write my daily to-do-list, whilst eating an Oat So Simple express porridge pot by Quaker Oats. Toast is great, especially with peanut butter. But it’s just not as filling. And cereal is fine, but so much of it is processed and can end up tasting too sweet. The porridge pots are great because they're wholesome, filling and all I have to do is add hot water. It really couldn't be less time consuming.

I love milk, but rarely do I fancy a cold glass of it first thing in the morning.  I much prefer hazelnut milk. The taste is best described as a mildly rich nuttiness, but without that overpowering dry sensation. It is much smoother than rice or soy milk, so try it out. I normally pick up Tesco’s own label, but Alpro’s offering tastes fantastic too.

I’m also becoming a fan of oat milk, This has a pleasant unsweetened flapjack-like taste, and works really well in hot drinks. ProVitamil’s Oat Drink is great because it's not only low-fat and unsweetened, it's also enriched with calcium and vitamins D and B. So it’s a pretty good drink to kick-start the day.


The mere thought of a fry-up is enough to make my stomach turn. I know it’s a dish much loved by the nation, but I don’t particularly like the smell of cooked fat and grease so early in the day. No, my ideal hot breakfast is a little more refined. For me, nothing beats eggs benedict. A lightly toasted muffin, succulent thick cut ham, on top of which sits a beautiful poached egg happily covered in hollandaise sauce. No other dish can give me such satisfaction in the morning.

If, like me, you often make a mess when attempting to poach eggs, then try the Poachpod® from Lakeland. It makes the job so much easier. And who has time to make the sauce. Just pick up a jar hollandaise sauce with a hint of lemon by Maille and slather it on.

On the mornings when I can’t face food (yes it happens), I still need something to keep me going ‘til lunch.  Of course coffee helps, and so does fruit. I always have some clementines to hand so I can get in some vitamin C. However a recent study suggests that another fruit might be better at keeping hunger pangs at bay. 

Research carried out at Queen Margaret University, has found that an extract from pomegranates makes people less hungry, and even results in eating smaller portions. But instead of rushing to buy pomegranates (very hard to cut in the office) try PomeGreat instead. The extract is unique ingredient in all their juice drinks and they taste fantastic. I particularly like their pomegranate and cherry juice blend. Find out more about the PurePlus®  extract here. 

So there you have it. This is my pick of the best and easiest breakfast food to fuel me up for the day ahead. I hope that if you normally skip breakfast, you’ll try to squeeze in some of my picks to see you through to lunchtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment